Who We Are
The Church is a bold architectural and artistic statement of faith in God and commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is a place of prayer, worship, and proclamation sanctified by the grace and power of the Holy Spirit. Read More
Saint Boniface Church began as an Episcopal mission in 1954 with the first services in a storefront on Midnight Pass Road on Siesta Key. Even though the Key was relatively undeveloped at that time, the average attendance at Sunday services was 66, and interest was high enough to apply for a charter within four months of operation. Property at the current site was purchased in 1956, and the first building was in operation by the middle of 1957. The original rectory, now the church office building, was added in 1958. Read More
St Boniface Contact
5615 Midnight Pass Rd.
Sarasota, FL 34242
 
Phone: 941-349-5616
Fax: 941-349-0519
banner-church
banner-church
OUR HISTORY

Saint Boniface Church began as an Episcopal mission in 1954 with the first services in a storefront on Midnight Pass Road on Siesta Key. Even though the Key was relatively undeveloped at that time, the average attendance at Sunday services was 66, and interest was high enough to apply for a charter within four months of operation. Property at the current site was purchased in 1956, and the first building was in operation by the middle of 1957. The original rectory, now the church office building, was added in 1958.

In 1962, Saint Boniface achieved parish status and more facilities soon followed:  class rooms, a parish hall, nursery, kitchen, enlarged sacristy and a new building for the Healing Mission were all added during this period. By 1965, the Parish had grown to approximately 775 communicants.

The decade from 1969-1979 saw gifts that established a Columbarium on the property, expansion of the Healing Mission, and the addition of new community service and outreach programs, many of which are still active today.

By 1979, planning began on a new church building designed to accommodate 550 worshipers at Sunday services.  Construction was completed and the building dedicated in 1980. A major renovation begun in 1995 improved the building interior and exterior, changing the color on the building, roof, and interior ceiling, adding the new steeple cross, revoicing the organ, and remodeling to make the Chapel of Christ the King possible.

Our 50th anniversary was celebrated in 2004 with a commitment to "Building the Future."  Major gifts were made for our fourth Habitat for Humanity house, a commitment to youth mission trips, the development of St. Edmund's Church, Arcadia and St. Margaret's Church, Sarasota and the building of a new parish hall at La Anunciacion in our companion diocese of the Dominican Republic.  To mark our fifty years in this community, the main courtyard was redesigned by noted architect Guy Peterson.  It is a plaza open to the whole community containing a classic Labyringh for personal spiritual journeys and a modern bell tower with a peal of three tuned bells.

Today, Saint Boniface is a resouce parish, one of the leading churches in the Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Southwest Florida.  Our year round membership of more than 1200 people is joined by hundreds of regular seasonal residents and many visitors. 

Whether you are a visitor or a long time member, you are always welcome in the house of God of this community.

Last Published: December 29, 2015 12:55 PM