WHO WE ARE

OUR MISSION AND VALUES
The mission of Saint Boniface is to continue Christ’s ministry in the world through worship, teaching, healing and service.

All people are welcome here!  We are an inclusive, progressive congregation, holding fast to the best traditions of the past and willing to explore the new places God may lead us.

We are a large and diverse community of faith.  We invite you to join one of our ministry or program groups where you will be personally supported, spiritually and intellectually challenged, and encouraged to make a difference in the world.

We are committed to excellence in:

  • Worship with sound preaching and quality music
  • Education and programs with equal focus on children, youth, and adults
  • Service to our community and beyond with our financial and personal resources.

Our vision is for our parish to be the best the Episcopal Church can be.

Church Drawing

OUR HISTORY
Saint Boniface Church began as an Episcopal mission in 1954 with the first services in a storefront on Midnight Pass Road on Siesta Key. Even though the Key was relatively undeveloped at that time, the average attendance at Sunday services was 66, and interest was high enough to apply for a charter within four months of operation. Property at the current site was purchased in 1956, and the first building was in operation by the middle of 1957. The original rectory, now the church office building, was added in 1958.

In 1962, Saint Boniface achieved parish status and more facilities soon followed:  class rooms, a parish hall, nursery, kitchen, enlarged sacristy and a new building for the Healing Mission were all added during this period. By 1965, the Parish had grown to approximately 775 communicants.

The decade from 1969-1979 saw gifts that established a Columbarium on the property, expansion of the Healing Mission, and the addition of new community service and outreach programs, many of which are still active today.

By 1979, planning began on a new church building designed to accommodate 550 worshipers at Sunday services.  Construction was completed and the building dedicated in 1980. A major renovation begun in 1995 improved the building interior and exterior, changing the color on the building, roof, and interior ceiling, adding the new steeple cross, revoicing the organ, and remodeling to make the Chapel of Christ the King possible.

Our 50th anniversary was celebrated in 2004 with a commitment to "Building the Future."  Major gifts were made for our fourth Habitat for Humanity house, a commitment to youth mission trips, the development of St. Edmund's Church, Arcadia and St. Margaret's Church, Sarasota and the building of a new parish hall at La Anunciacion in our companion diocese of the Dominican Republic.  To mark our fifty years in this community, the main courtyard was redesigned by noted architect Guy Peterson.  It is a plaza open to the whole community containing a classic Labyringh for personal spiritual journeys and a modern bell tower with a peal of three tuned bells.

Today, Saint Boniface is a resouce parish, one of the leading churches in the Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Southwest Florida.  Our year round membership of more than 1200 people is joined by hundreds of regular seasonal residents and many visitors. 

Whether you are a visitor or a long time member, you are always welcome in the house of God of this community.

 

 

STAFF DIRECTORY

Phone: 941-349-5616
Fax: 941-349-0519
Email:  Click on a staff member's name, or send a general email to office@bonifacechurch.org
 
Rector, ext. 317
 
Assistant Director of Music, ext. 326
 

Andrea Taylor
Associate Rector, ext.  313

Barbara Roth-Donaldson
Ass't Organist, ext. 325

Allan Rogers,
Deacon, ext. 353

Carolyn Walker
Member Records, ext. 316

Dick Walker
Building and Grounds Manager, ext. 312

Betsie Danner
Member Engagement, ext. 318

Cindy Hannon
Business Manager, ext. 315

Alex Everson
Youth & Family Director, ext. 311

Lisa Wolf
Administrative Assistant, ext. 320

Sarah Schebel
Preschool Director, ext. 330

Neil Page
Director of Music, ext. 325

Allan Rogers
Deacon, ext 353

 

PRIESTS IN RESIDENCE

Jack Chrisman, Charles Kiblinger, Ralph McGimpsey, Ernie Matijasic, Jonathan Percival, Michael Povey, Bob Thacker, Kai Walters, Wes Wasdyke

04102009Church002

The Church is a bold architectural and artistic statement of faith in God and commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It is a place of prayer, worship, and proclamation sanctified by the grace and power of the Holy Spirit.

The church was designed to enhance corporate worship.  The arrangement of the pews, the placement of the altar, organ and choir, the beautiful stained glass and the great height of the nave combine to create a sense of presence and intimacy along with the transcendence and glory of God.

The building incorporates design features which allow considerable versitility and flexibility of use, making this an outstanding facility for the enrichment of both parish and community life beyond its central purpose of worship.

Empowered by Extend, a church software solution from